Van Nuys Labor Commissioner


Have you been served by the Van Nuys Labor Commissioner’s office?

 Van Nuys Labor Commissioner

If you own a business or are an employer in any of the areas served by the Van Nuys Labor Commissioner this will be the office that will contact you if an employee files a claim.

Here is a list of the cities served by this office:

  • Burbank
  • Glendale
  • Simi Valley
  • Woodland Hills
  • Encino
  • Thousand Oaks
  • San Fernando
  • San Fernando Valley

The Labor Commissioner Office in Van Nuys is where employees in the covered areas will most likely file their complaint against your business. Their filing is the first step in the process. Soon you should receive a notice in the mail from this office with your options to respond.

There are many types claims against employers with the most common being the various types of Wage Claims. As an example here are some of the most common claims The Van Nuys Labor Commissioner accepts.

One of the following is most likely the type of claim you will see filed against your business:

  • Wage Claims – Overtime; Regarding claims of not being paid for overtime work.
  • Wage Claims – Unpaid Meal Break Claims; Regarding disputes related to meal and rest breaks.
  • Wage Claims – Minimum Wage; Employee is usually claiming they were paid below the minimum wage standard.
  • Rest/Break Claims – Employee is normally claiming they were denied their mandated rest breaks.
  • Wage Claims – Unpaid Commission Claims; Employee is usually claiming they were not paid their agreed upon commissions.
  • Wage Claims – Vacation Claims Unpaid Accrued Hours; Employee claims was not paid vacation hours when leaving the company.
  • Wage Claims – Vacation Claims Misappropriated Hours; Employee claims was law was not followed in regard to vacation policies.


Above, are the most common claims but there are a few more. If you are served notice and you do not see the specific claim above you can contact us for more information. We have defended California business against just about every claim their is!

After the employee makes the claim you will receive notice within 30 days from the deputy. The deputy will let you know how it will proceed, usually in one of 3 ways.

  • Referral to conference
  • Referral to hearing
  • Dismissal of claim


A conference is an informal meeting an neither you or the employee will be under oath. If you convince the deputy that it does not have merit then its possible to get it dismissed right there. The best way to do that is to bring all your supporting information and an attorney with you!

A hearing is the next step if its determined that it is needed after the conference. This is a bit more formal and you may need to testify under oath. Again the most important thing to do is bring all supporting evidence and an experienced labor attorney.

Obviously the dismissal of claim would be the best case scenario and what you would be going for.

While similar to court proceedings, these types of hearings are very unique. For example the hearing officer is not a judge but has a lot of power in the proceedings and has sole discretion on how it proceeds. That is why it is so important to have an attorney who is experienced in these matters with you and not try to tackle it yourself.

Below is more information about the Van Nuys office of the California Labor Commissioner.

The Van Nuy Labor Commissioner’s Address:

6150 Van Nuys Blvd., Room 206
Van Nuys, CA 91401

Van Nuys Labor Board’s office telephone number is (818) 901-5315.

Van Nuys Labor Board’s office fax number  is (818) 901-5307.

The Labor Board allows you representation by an attorney in the claims against you.

It is best to get attorney representation from the start of your case so you can maximize your chances of success defending your business.

If you receive a Notice of Claim and Conference from the Deputy Labor Commissioner contact us right away so we can assist you!

We represent California employers and business owners in wage claims. Contact Us for a 15 minute consultation to discuss your case.


PHONE: 323-289-2260, Ext.103